SENIOR FOOTWEAR DESIGNER & DEVELOPER
- 3-5 years experience in the design or footwear industry.
POSTED:February 6, 2012
LOCATION: Vancouver, BC
COMPENSATION: $55K - $75K based on experience
ABOUT THE JOB:
This is a full time position. The Senior Designer & Developer will drive the footwear development process from concept through to product confirmation, ensuring brand integrity and outstanding product quality. The ideal candidate will possess an understanding of the footwear business and marketplace, a strong design aesthetic, high level of creativity, and a broad understanding of construction and materials.
• Research and implement new construction and material processes in order to help identity current and future collection needs.
• Work closely with the Design Department.
• Create product specifications using knowledge of materials and footwear construction.
• Coordinate with Production to allocate development projects to appropriate factories using development capabilities, costing and production capacities as criteria.
• Direct communication with vendors, ensuring that projects are proceeding according to timelines, and that specs are being translated properly.
• Decision making and trouble shooting that leads to on time product confirmation and delivery.
• Negotiate costing to ensure targets established by Design Director, without sacrificing quality.
• Assist in the layout of seasonal materials & color palette, trims and findings, and subsequent colorway requests.
• Refine and finish footwear designs through multiple prototyping process; ensure accuracy in fit, function, quality and pricing.
• Work with Design and manufacturing resources to ensure proper mold and last development.
• Constant management of product changes; maintenance of accurate records and product documentation, furnishing relevant departments with accurate, timely project information.
• Confirmation of sales samples, and sign off for product confirmation.
• Mentor and assist junior footwear designers & developers as applicable.
• International travel to trade show and factories as necessary, approx 4-8 times per year.
- BA or MA in Industrial design, Fashion Design, or Fine Art. Strong sketching ability.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, organizational, and follow-up skills along with the ability to interact with a diverse group at all levels are required.
- Successful project management skills and ability to work independently is essential. Previous factory experience is essential.
- Ability to understand, assess and problem solve by leveraging technical and analytical skills.
- Must be able to travel internationally.
- Applicants must be systems savvy with a high level of proficiency in MS Office and CS5. 3D rendering skills are a requisite.
We expect the Senior Designer & Developer to not only help drive and execute the process, but also to expand on and improve the original concept, as a result adding value to our team.
TO APPLY: Please send resume & cover letter to email@example.com along with portfolio.